22 December 2010

Christmas Morning Granola

Last year marked the first of what I hope to be a traditional Christmas gift for my father, who happens to be an avid granola lover.  He is not really particular about it but does prefer to keep the sugar low and a smallish to non-existent nut content to keep the fat low as well.  I found a lovely recipe that was published in Nigella Christmas, a book that is my favourite to cook from, especially for Christmas treats and gifts.  I have changed up the recipe a bit, to fit my father's tastes and have altered the amounts of nuts and dried fruit.  


I love the smells that fill the kitchen as this is baking, and what you end up with, after a gooey mess of oats and seeds, is crispy chunks of not too sweet granola.

2.5 c. oats (not instant)
1/4c. white sesame seeds
1/2c. sunflower kernels
a small handful of walnuts 
2t. cinnamon
1/2c.  honey
1/3c. light brown sugar
1T. flavourless oil, such as canola
1t. salt
a handful of dried cranberries

-Combine all save for the dried fruit in a bowl.  (This is a very sticky mixture, so I normally use two silicone spatulas.)
-Spread onto a lined baking sheet and slide into a 325f. oven.
-This will take about 30-50 minutes depending on your oven, and I would recommend moving it around about halfway through the baking.  Keep and eye on this, and do not wait until it goes crispy in the oven.  It will crisp upon cooling.
-When it has cooled, break into shards and add the dried fruit.


This is the delicious result:

I will admit that I forgot to add the fruit and so it isn't mixed through but rather scattered ontop.  

Naturally, you can change the type(s) and amount(s) of nuts and dried fruits, for your own tastes.  Just be warned: this is terribly addictive stuff, so if you're making it as a gift...well, you might want to make double.

Christmas is just around the corner, and I have so much more baking and cooking to look forward to!
Hope you all are well.

What do you enjoy most about granola?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! I love granola, but mine has to have LOTS of nuts :)

    ReplyDelete