14 April 2011

Poached Eggs with Spinach and Mushroom Hash

If there is one culinary wonder, it is the egg.  Not only can eggs be cooked a million and one ways, but they can pretty well make an instant meal of just about anything.  Need a sauce for something?  Hello, Runny Yolk.  In fact, that is my favourite part of the egg.  A nice runny yolk.  That is even how I prefer my boiled eggs, with just the exterior of the yolk gelled. 

All of that being said, you might be surprised to know that I only just learned to poach an egg.  I know.  It's madness.  Yet another intimidating thing for me.

I have happily overcome that.
Finally.
 


For the premiere of the poached eggs, I served them over a spinach and mushroom hash.  Ok, I call it a hash but I don't really know if technically it is a hash.  Does something have to have potatoes in it to be a hash?  Any one? 

Well, whatever, I like the idea of calling this a hash, and so I shall. 




2 eggs
....
1 box frozen spinach, thawed, and removed of excess moisture
8oz (1 box) cremini mushrooms
sherry vinegar
(salt & pepper to taste)
....
2 scallions

-Begin with stemming and tearing the mushrooms into halves. 

 I say tear because I prefer the texture that the rough edges get when they are sauteed but if you can't tell a difference or prefer prettier mushrooms, slicing them is acceptable.

-When the mushrooms are lovely and a deep caramelized brown colour, pour in a splash of sherry vinegar and chuck the spinach into the pan to heat through.
-In another wider and shallow pot, heat some water, about 2-3 inches worth, until little bubbles form at the bottom of the pot.  Crack the eggs separately, in a little dish.  Using a slotted spoon (you'll need one later to help get out the eggs) swirl the water in the pan until a slight funnel forms.  Drop the eggs in one at a time and keep the water going until the whites begin to cook.  They will need roughly 3-4 minutes to cook.
-To serve, put the spinach hash into a bowl and snip the scallions over.  Remove the eggs, carefully, from their hot bath and blot them on a cloth to remove any water.  Eat immediately with a nice sprinkling of coarse salt and pepper.

On a side note, if you are poaching eggs ahead of time, say, in the morning to have with lunch, put the poached egg(s) into a mason jar and keep in the ice box until you are ready to eat them.  Reheat the eggs by pouring some hot water over them and draining after about 30 seconds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment