17 April 2011

Sauteed Cabbage

Hopefully the addition of cabbage to a taco won't be a turn off.  In fact, it is rather a wonderful addition regarding both flavour and texture.  It melts in the mouth so easily, sort of the way that perfectly and slowly caramelized onions do, except more so. It almost isn't even necessary to chew, (except when considering the black beans and corn tortillas, well, chewing sort of comes in handy when it comes time to swallow). And the cabbage is a little tangy, which I really like, especially with the moderately spiced black beans.

Even though I never ate cabbage as a child, there never the less is something very comforting and homely, for me, at least, about a nice bowl of sauteed cabbage.  While it is still piping hot and with just enough salt and a dash of vinegar, maybe add some tomatoes for even more acidity if you like.   Which, actually, I enjoy as a meal in itself: sauteed cabbage with tomatoes cooked in.  It's very nice.  It is the sort of thing I would make if I ever was home sick.

The first time that I had ever had cooked cabbage was a couple of years ago, when I spent some time in Bulgaria.  It was over the Christmas and New Year's holidays with a friend (she had moved to America from Bulgaria to study).  There, it seemed that cabbage was a part of most of the meals.  Whether cooked or made into juice, something that, I find, that most Americans turn their noses up at (and I mean that quite literally, quite a strong smell for those who are unprepared) and indeed, something that I am sure that they were surprised to find how eager I was to not just have, but to enjoy.  In fact, I am sure my complete lack of hesitation to have a glass (or more, if they would be so obliging) was rather a let down for them.  I may not have enjoyed cooked cabbage before my trip to Bulgaria, but I had already had a happy fondness of cabbage juice.

It's just so tangy, yet there is still a natural sweetness to it.  Just enough to balance it.  It is a bit of a labor of love to make, but when done properly, and it seems that there are several Bulgarian women out there that know how to properly steep cabbages and coax them to release all of their pungent and tart juices, it is a complete joy to consume.  Also, I learned, that I was lucky to have tasted this wondrous concoction, seeing as cabbage juice is specifically a wintertime treat.  

Perhaps, the comfort that cabbage ignites within me comes from such wonderful memories of being a part of some one else's family for the holidays when I had left mine back at home.  Either way, I am always happy knowing that there is some cabbage around, whether rolling around in my ice box or sizzling and hissing in my saute pan.



1 small head of green cabbage
2t. oil
(salt to taste)

-Begin by cutting the cabbage into four wedges.  This will make it easy to take out the core, which you can do by angling your knife and making a 45 degree slice into the cabbage, like you would do for apple wedges.
-Now, take your cored cabbage and turn it so that you are perpendicular to it length wise and slice into half inch thick ribbons.  Repeat until all of the cabbage is shredded.
-Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium high heat.  When the oil is hot, add the cabbage and let it cook, turning occasionally, until most of it has taken on a golden hue.  
-Carefully (prepare yourself for a bit of hot steam), pour in 1/3c. water and salt and cover.  Let this cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until the cabbage has softened to your liking.

As I mentioned earlier, adding some tomatoes and red wine vinegar to this, halfway through the browning process, makes for another lovely meal or side dish.  It is also lovely left plane and heaped into a warm corn tortilla with some chipotle spiked black beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment