07 April 2011

Mushroom Omelette

I have never been a fan of omelettes.  
First of all, the only egg, in my opinion, that is OK to eat cold is a boiled egg, otherwise, I want my egg piping hot.  There is something about a cold egg that just really turns me off.  An egg can go from steamy and luscious to cold and congealed in five minutes flat, and I generally don't like to shovel food into my mouth quite that fast.  All of that being said, imagine my own surprise when while lazily and unsuspectingly watching television one sunny Saturday morning, I saw a cooking show host make a french-style omelette that made my mouth water more than I ever thought possible.  The way that she prepared it was so simple and effortless, which is the way something as simple as an omelette (or any breakfast food, for that matter) should be.  It looked so fluffy and lite and at the same time was very satisfying once in my happy stomach.
  
Omelette lovers, I have finally, and humbly, joined your league.



3 eggs, separated

2T. gruyere cheese, shredded

1.5 c. mushrooms, halved
1/2t. thyme
1t. butter
1t. sherry vinegar

(salt and pepper to taste)

-Begin with preheating the broiler of your oven.
-Saute the mushrooms in a dribble or spray of oil over medium heat.
-Meanwhile, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.  In a separate bowl, whip the yolks (using as many as you see fit, I used only one, but three would be lovely as well and not damage the omelette any) just enough to break them up and told into the whites.
-Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and, even though you're using non-stick, spray or dribble a bit more oil in.  Pour the cloud-like mixture into  pan over a medium flame and cover with a lid. 
-Once it sets on the bottom and begins to take on some colour, sprinkle over the gruyere and place under the broiler, watching rather vigilantly, until the cheese has melted.  (While all of this is going on, splosh the vinegar into the pan of mushrooms, let it sizzle a bit and stir in the butter, thyme, and salt and pepper.
-To finish, slide the omelette out of its pan onto a warmed plate (seriously, it makes such a difference) folding it over half-way to make a crescent shape.
-Gently spoon the mushrooms over the egg and enjoy.


The joy of omelettes is that you can make them with a million and one different fillings or just eat them with nothing more than some coarse salt and cracked pepper.  Either way, if you're not an egg-lover, this will convert you; if you are an egg-lover, then, well, you already know where I am coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment