30 March 2011

Honeyed Pistachio Granola with Apricots

I love granola.  I mean, what's not to love?  Different flavours and textures mingling together to make each mouthful (I mean, really- who has 'just a bite' of granola?) just as perfect as the one preceding it.  Making granola at home is something that I rarely do, but I always enjoy the rare occasion and this time was no exception.  With a minimal ingredient list and minimal hands-on time, this was easy to say the least and made just the perfect amount- 2 cups, after sufficiently sampling.  It also made the apartment smell wonderful.  Like I said- what's not to love about granola?

I will admit, I made this mostly for my father, who loves granola even more than I do.   He also happens to love salt, maybe even as much as I do.  This is the perfect granola to satisfy your salty & sweet craving.  If you would like a less salty version, however, just halve the amount listed and it should be to your liking.



1.5c. oats
1/2 c. raw shelled pistachios
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4t. cardamon
2 (heaping) T. honey
2 T. butter
1/2 c. dried apricots, quartered

-Put the oven on to heat to 300.
-Combine the oats and pistachios in a bowl. 
-In a small saucepan melt the butter and honey, stirring in the salt and cardamon at the last minute.  Toss this with the oats and pistachios.
-Spread mixture onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
-Let this cool on the sheet for about 30-40 minutes before gently crumbling and embellishing with the apricots.

Enjoy this with yogurt, milk, over ice cream, or as a lovely little snack with tea or coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment