23 March 2011

Coconut & Chickpea Curry


If you can believe, this started out as a sort of 'throw together everything I have' sort of a meal....at around midnight-thirty one night.  I rummaged through my cupboards and found that all I had was a splash of coconut milk, chickpeas, and, among other random things, red curry paste.  Naturally, when I set out to make this again, I embellished the simple recipe to be more agreeable to the masses, but nothing fussy.  Just cooked a bit of bulgur in a pot, chopped some fresh coriander, and toasted some almonds (a rather last minute addition, this one). 

Meals like this are so satisfying for me to make (and eat, of course).  I love bubbling, simmering pans on the stove while I do a bit of chopping or strewing of herbs.  It's like my own little symphony made not of musical instruments, but rather the flavours and aromas of promising saveur.



2 cloves, whole
half a cinnamon stick
2 cardamon pods, bruised
1/2t. turmeric
1c. buglur wheat
1/2c. white onion, chopped
2c. water

1c. coconut milk
3c. chickpeas, dried/cooked or canned
2t. red curry paste (more or less, for your preference)

-Gently saute the onion until it begins to colour, just slightly.  Toss in the spices and bulgur and toast until you begin to smell the spices.  Add the water, cover, and let cook on a low flame for 20-25 minutes.
-Meanwhile, combine the chickpeas, coconut milk, and red curry paste in a pot and simmer until the bulgur is finished.
-If you want, toast some slivered or slice almonds in a dry pan and chop some fresh coriander to garnish with.



*If you are starting with dried chickpeas, soak them for 4-8 hours, at your convenience, drain, and simmer 20-60 minutes.  I use split chickpeas and they only take 20-25 minutes to cook.  Then, drain them again, and simmer them in the coconut milk (or use in any other recipe).

No comments:

Post a Comment