06 January 2011

Easy dinner for one

I think that salmon is quite possibly one of my favourite meals to make for just me.  It is affordable, low in fat (albeit, 'good' fats) and calories, a good source of protein, and very easy and quick to prepare.  It can be served with just about anything and has one of my favourite textures for fish.
Here, I just threw a potato in the oven, and came back later to sear the salmon and shake up a vinaigrette.  It took about 45 minutes or so, but considering that there was only about 10 minutes of actually doing anything, then it can hardly be considered to be time consuming.


1 new potato
1 fillet salmon, (3oz.)
salad greens
cherry tomatoes, halved

for lemon dill sauce:
1 oz. Greek yogurt
1T. lemon juice
1/4t. dried dill
dash of salt

for Caesar vinaigrette:
1 clove garlic
1T. lemon juice
1t. olive oil
1/4t. anchovy paste
salt

-For the potato, just leave it be in a hot oven for 30-45 minutes, depending on it's size.  I used a new potato here, because I prefer it's creamy texture to the normal russet potatoes, but use which ever potato you prefer.
-For the salmon, I left the skin on, but that is because I was in a bit of a lazy mood that night; by all means, remove it if you must.  Sprinkle one or both sides with salt and black pepper and put into a hot nonstick pan and let griddle for about 90 seconds per side (for medium rare). 
-For the lemon dill sauce, just stir everything to combine.
-For the Caesar vinaigrette, chop the garlic as teensy as you have the patients for (or use a mortar and pestle if you have one, and go ahead and crush the salt with the garlic here),  the put your garlic mash into a small jar along with the remain ingredients and shake to combine.  Toss with greens of your preference and maybe a few cherry tomato halves if you are feeling feisty.

Let it be said that there is plenty of room for more oil in the vinaigrette if you prefer it less astringent, but I love the acidic tang, especially with the oily salmon here.  Also, if these amounts seem meagre for the vinaigrette, then you can certainly make as much as you want and leave it in the fridge, which, I should have done seeing as I have made that vinaigrette at least 3 times since this meal, only substituting the oil for Greek yogurt and pouring over blanched broccoli, lettuce, and just about whatever else I can get my hands on.

So, now for the big question:  do you avoid the anchovy or seek it out?
I, personally, love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment