02 January 2011

A Versatile Dessert


If ever there was a need for a multi-functional dessert, it is around the holidays.   I was so pleased when I found this recipe last year that I couldn't wait to make it!  It is absolutely a cinch to make and beautiful to look at; more importantly though, it is a pleasure to eat.  It is almost surprisingly dense in texture but light at the same time and while it calls for just over one cup of sugar, it is not near as tooth-achingly sweet as one might expect.

It is a very eggy and buttery vanilla flavoured bundt cake, and I am proud to say that I can publish this recipe seeing as I forgot to pick up an ingredient at the store and had to make do, thus creating my own variation.  The original recipe (located in Nigella Christmas) asks for you to use some natural yogurt, but all I had was greek yogurt, and knowing that it is much thicker, I added a bit of almond milk as well.

2 sticks of butter
1.5c. sugar
6 eggs
2 1/3c. flour
1/2t. baking soda
pinch of salt
scant one cup of greek yogurt
2-3 T. almond milk
4t. vanilla extract

-If you have a large food processor, then by all means throw everything in there, press the button, and move on with life.  If, like myself, you only have one of the little tiny food processors, go about this the old fashioned way and cream the butter and sugar; add the eggs and vanilla (one or two at a time), and finally, alternate the two dry ingredients and the two wetter.
-Spray or butter a 2.5 quart bundt pan and pour in the batter.  Bake at 350(f) for 45minutes to an hour, checking towards the end of baking to ensure that it isn't getting to brown ontop.
-Let the cake cool in its pan for about 15 minutes, and you should notice the cake beginning to pull away from the edges.  Coax it a bit more before you attempt to invert it.  And if you are normally worried by the inversion, don't be with this cake.  As I mentioned, it is very dense and I think it would take more than a less than perfect flip to break it.




As you can see, at our Christmas, we ate it with nothing more than a fresh dusting of snowy-white icing sugar, but served with chocolate sauce, ice cream, drizzled with heavy cream, or even with fresh fruit for breakfast. Just the other morning, I had the last bit of it toasted with a cup of tea for breakfast.  And yes, I did make it the day before Christmas Eve and as of January 1, protected only by a layer of foil, this cake was still just as wonderfully moist as the day that it was baked (and mold-free to boot).  Just like the little black dress, this cake is perfect for a small gathering or a formal diner party.

I would be interested in baking this with brown sugar next time or adding some almond extract as well.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment