23 January 2011

Triofe al Pesto

I have never really been one to keep pasta around as a staple or as a fall back meal, not because I don't like it, but because I always feel so limited of all things when it comes to pasta.  I feel that there is almost no way to make it special anymore, seeing as everything has been done.  This all changed when I was searching for a recipe for pesto, and came across a recipe for fresh (egg-less) pasta.  I never thought that one could make pasta with out eggs, for some reason.  I read through the recipe and it seemed easy enough, so I thought to give it a go.  It was tremendously easy, however time consuming.  I did it all on my own though, and I am quite sure that if you had help and/or didn't try to shape it, it would take much less time- but when have I ever been one to complain about lingering in the kitchen?


-Triofe al Pesto-


It seems only right to start with the pasta, seeing as you at the very least have to roll and cut it, but it also needs to set for about 20 minutes before and after the shaping.

2/3 lb. semolina (and a pinch of salt)
6oz. water

-Pour the semolina into a little mound on a smooth surface and form a well.  Carefully pour in the water and begin to combine the two using a fork, at first, and then your hands. Knead it slightly, adding a bit extra water if you must, and then shape into a ball, cover, and let rest for 15 minutes.




-When it comes time to cute and shape the pasta, divide the dough into (roughly) walnut sized pieces.  Then, one by one, roll into a long cord and cut into ~1.5in. lengths.  This is where you get to decide how crafty you want to be with this- to shape or not to shape?  If you are shaping them, take the blunt side of a knife, and (with the pasta piece perpendicular to your person) press down, and pull the knife towards you until the pasta curls up, resembling a little tiny scroll.  (You will quickly get used to the amount of pressure needed to properly form the shapes.) 
-Leave to dry for about twenty minutes, being sure that they do not touch each other.  I found that by sprinkling them with corn meal, and then leaving them under the broiler for a blink or two, they dry out enough to where they are less prone to stick to one another.
-Boil a large pot of salted water and cook the pasta for about 5 minutes.  When you drain the pasta, hold back a cupfull of the cooking water, should you need to thin the pesto.

-Pesto-



2 cloves of garlic, peeled1/4 c. toasted walnuts
2 1/4 oz. fresh basil leaves and mixed greens (arugula, spinach, radicchio) or roughly 3 cups
1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1T. lemon juice1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan

-Toss everything into a food processor and whir into a creamy vibrant green sauce.  (Be sure to season this, after you have combined everything, seeing as the
parmesan will add a nice salty element.)

-You will only need about half to two-thirds of the pesto for the amount of pasta that has been made, and I would recommend either saving it for later, or going all out and toasting some rustic style bread, and smearing with the wonderfully bright pesto.



Buon Appetito!

What do you put into your pesto?
This was my first time ever to make pesto, and, naturally, I deviated from the recipe, but it was wonderful all the same.  I really loved the flavour that the walnuts gave, and while I very much enjoy olive oil, the 1/2 cup that was called for was much too much and almost masked the flavours.  I think the lemon was very necessary to cut through that sort of shield and let the rest of the flavours properly come through.

No comments:

Post a Comment