08 January 2011

Saturday afternoon snack

Sometimes on a lazy Saturday afternoon, you just need a little pick me up; nothing to heavy but something that is enough to quiet those nagging pangs of hunger a couple of hours before dinner.  I made this for my mother, with left over bread, but by all means, make this with a fresh slice of whatever bread you like, just so long as it isn't the super market sponge variety. 


1 slice of bread
1/2 roma tomato, diced
2T. chevre
dash of oregano
salt, pepper, olive oil

-Drizzle the bread with a spot of oil and toast in the broiler while you chop your tomato and get out the chevre. 
-Combine all of the ingredients, the salt and pepper to taste, and mound on to the slice of now toasted bread and drizzle with just a touch more olive oil.
-Slide under the broiler and let the chevre take on a bit of golden colour and remove.  I wouldn't let this cool down too much, but tomatoes are known to be acidic and thus, retain heat for longer than you might expect. 

I did try slicing this, but it wasn't at all very pretty, and I think that it made it even more difficult to eat.  I wouldn't go pulling out a knife and fork or anything, nor would I wear my favourite white shirt when eating this, just as a precaution.

No comments:

Post a Comment